Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Baby Animal Adventure

It seems to be "baby animal rescue week" at our house. Sunday evening when we were driving back from dinner I spotted a baby bird in the road. Turned out to be a baby Mourning dove who was not quite ready to be fledged (hmm, is that the proper term) from the nest. You can find out more about that adventure on my Painted for You blog.
Then Monday, I was driving along a busy rode and saw a baby box turtle in the middle of the road. I was afraid it would get hit. So, of course I had to pull over my car and go move the turtle back into the grass near the pond. Then this evening, our 7 month old lab found a baby squirrel in our backyard! I was lucky enough to find a squirrel rehabilitator about 1 hour away from us. She was so nice and met up with me so she could take the little one home. The 3 week old squirrel who is now named "Jewel" will get to have a another baby squirrel for a roommate and proper care. Yay! I love a happy ending!
3 week old squirrel fast asleep - isn't she cute?!
Mourning dove fledgling

No comments:

"Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you."

Visit my web site at www.artworkbyandrea.com